Lasers used in dermatology have come a long way and improved greatly over the last several years.
Advanced technology has made it possible to treat any part of the body for a wide variety of skin problems and issues.
The use of Lasers in dermatology has come a long way in the last several years. The major advances in laser technology has changed their use in the treatment of many skin conditions and congenital defects. These include:
- vascular and pigmented lesions
- the removal of tattoos
- reducing the appearance of scars
- reducing, and sometimes eliminating, wrinkles
Dr. Mash has a wide spectrum of advanced laser and light technologies available for skin resurfacing and rejuvenation.Since there are many different types of lasers used for treating different skin deseases and cosmetic issues, an experienced and certified professional is best suited and prepared to treat you. After an initial and free consultation, you will be able to schedule your treatment with confidence.For tighter and firmer skin, Dr. Mash offers her patients the unique "ACCENT YOUR BODY" Laser. The ACCENT LASER rejuvenates skin firmness with the toned look of youth. A more beautiful you is possible through "Accent Your Body Dual-layer Thermotherapy."The Dual-layer RF Thermotherapy stimulates the production of new collagen and improves skin surface texture. Treatments with the Accent system are quick and do not require anesthesia or a prolonged recovery time. Patients can resume their normal activities immediately. Best of all, Dual-layer RF Thermotherapy provides steady improvement with excellent, long-term skin tightening results.Accent treatments can be performed to treat loose, wrinkled skin anywhere on the body. The procedure is frequently used for toning thin, loose, and crepe-like skin often found on the aging face, neck, and under the upper arms. It is also excellent for firming skin on the post-surgical or postnatal abdomen or thighs. (Also see Ultherapy for non-surgical skin tightening for face and neck.)
While pain tolerance is subjective, most people tolerate Dual-layer RF Thermotherapy well, and have little or no discomfort. Patients often describe the sensation as a "warm massage." The risk of significant side effects is extremely low.
The Clear + Brilliant Laser
Clear + Brilliant is a gentle treatment that uses fractional laser technology to address and prevent the early signs of aging skin.
Clear + Brilliant works by creating hundreds of thousands of microscopic treatment zones in the upper layers of the skin, which replaces damaged skin with healthy looking tissue and yields younger-looking skin.
Treatments take about 30 minutes or less. However, total appointment times will vary.
Great for women and men who are looking to prevent and fight the early signs of aging or maintain their youthful appearance, after Clear + Brilliant treatments your skin will feel softer and have improved tone for a youthful, more radiant glow.
Often, both men and women want to remove excessive and cosmetically "unwanted" hair. Laser treatments can remove dark hair quickly, and it may take 3 to 6 months before there is regrowth in the treated areas. The number of treatments you will need will depend upon your particular hair growth cycle, the area you wish to have treated, and the hair density. Your hair grows in cycles, which include a resting phase, a growth phase, and a mature phase, when the follicle is fully formed and can be detected by the laser. In addition, the availability of follicles for destruction is further complicated by the fact that the laser slows the growing capacity of follicles in the growth phase. Not all hairs are in the same phase of the cycle at the same time. Because of these variables, we recommend at least three treatments scheduled one month apart, with some patients requiring up to six.
Laser treatments are less painful and much quicker than electrolysis. Although complications are rare, sometimes superficial burns, pigmentary changes, and even scarring may occur.Using a laser hand piece, our technician will 'trigger' beams of infra-red light into your skin, automatically targeting the hair follicles, and destroys them by the absorption and transformation of the light into heat. Our laser penetrates deeper into the skin and avoids absorption by the melanin layers, making it safe for all skin types, including dark and tanned (chemically-tanned, we hope) skin.IPLIPL delivers high intensity pulses of broadband light that is non-ablative, meaning that it does not damage the surface of the skin. The intense light is delivered to the deeper parts of the skin (dermis) and leaves the superficial aspect of the skin (epidermis) untouched. IPL can eradicate red facial veins & flushing, improve acne rosacea, treat irregular pigmentation, dark sunspots, and reduce fine facial lines. (If you want skin TIGHTENING & LIFTING, we suggest you also visit our ULTHERAPY page.)Unfortunately, there are some individuals who are NOT good candidates for IPL. Darker complexions, tanned skin, spray tans, or recently tanned skin individuals are generally not optimal candidates for the treatment. Men who wish to have facial treatments should note the beard/mustache area can have patchy hair loss after a session, so they may not want to treat this area where regular facial hair grows.We usually recommend patients receive a series of 3-4 IPL treatments to achieve their desired results. Treatments will be administered every 3-4 weeks. Each treatment session takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the areas being treated.The PixelThe Pixel is known as 'ablative fractional technology.' Skin is treated by removing tissue via a dot Pixel hand-piece.Skin resurfacing occurs as the laser passes over the skin to remove selected outer layers and, through heat, stimulates the production of collagen and new skin cells in the underlying layers. The Pixel allows for a smoother, tighter, and more improved skin texture after just several sessions, and may even be visible after the first session.The Pixel has been shown to improve the appearance of difficult to treat acne and keloid scars with just several treatments. Some patients feel that it is an excellent alternative to botox for several skin types.The Pixel results include:
- Lessening of acne or surgical scars
- Treating pigment related conditions
- Evening out uneven skin tone and smoothing skin texture
- Rejuvenating skin
- Lessening wrinkles and fine lines
- Reducing stretch marksThe Pixel laser has been shown to be so gentle that treatment can translate to those hard to treat areas once prohibitive by traditional resurfacing procedures, and it is effective a short amount of time.Tattoo RemovalTattoo removal is most commonly performed using lasers that break down the ink particles in the tattoo. The broken-down ink is then absorbed by the body, mimicking the natural fading that time or sun exposure would create.The Q-switched lasers are the lasers used for tattoo removal. Complete laser tattoo removal requires numerous treatment sessions, typically spaced at least seven weeks apart.At each session, some but not all of the tattoo pigment particles are effectively fragmented, and the body removes the smallest fragments over the course of several weeks. The result is that the tattoo is lightened over time. Remaining large particles of tattoo pigment are then targeted at subsequent treatment sessions, causing further lightening. The number of sessions and spacing between treatments depends on various parameters, including the area of the body treated and skin color. Tattoos located on the extremities, such as the ankle, generally take longest. As tattoos fade clinicians may recommend that patients wait many months between treatments to facilitate ink resolution and minimize unwanted side effects.The amount of time required for the removal of a tattoo and the success of the removal varies with each individual. Factors influencing this include: skin type, location, color, amount of ink, scarring or tissue change, and layering.XTRAC LaserXTRAC Laser Treatment is an FDA-approved excimer laser procedure designed to reduce the appearance of psoriasis and vitiligo, with results typically lasting several months before any symptoms reappear. XTRAC treatments are safe and quick to effectively clear the skin of active lesions while leaving healthy skin intact.
Patients with psoriasis or vitiligo have likely tried countless other treatment options for their condition, such as topical cream, systemic medications and UVB therapy. While these treatments can offer some relief from symptoms, they often take much longer to perform and may expose the entire body to medication.The XTRAC laser offers several benefits over other treatments, including:
- Shorter treatment time
- No UV exposure to healthy skin
- No hassle of daily creams
- No risk of skin thinning or stretch marks
- No risk of liver damage or birth defects
- Can be used on hard to treat areas
- Remission times of up to 3-6 monthsThe XTRAC laser is best designed for patients with mild to moderate psoriasis or vitiligo, and is often used by those who have had unsuccessful results from topical or systemic medication. Many major insurance companies cover the XTRAC laser procedure for treatment of these skin conditions, based on medical necessity.